Monday, February 6, 2012

Evaluation 3: What have you learned from your audience feedback?

Earlier in my blog I published a post which included the feedback that I received after posting my video on youtube and creating a survey to go with it. once people had seen the video I asked if they could complete the survey to let me know what they thought of it.
The large majority of people that I asked were of my own age (so from 17 to about 20) with a couple of exceptions. The main idea of using a survey to gain feedback was so that there was less of a personal pressure when answering the questions. What I mean by this is that people are generally nicer to your face than they may be when they are just filling in a form about something you have done.
Almost 80% of the people interviewed did enjoy watching the music video, whilst almost 85% of them thought that the video did fit the genre, with only two responses who thought that the video did not suit its proposed genre.
The choice of actor was more controversial however, with just over half the replies agreeing that the choice of actor fitted the music video. The rest were either not convinced or did not agree that there was an appropriate choice of actor.
The last multiple choice question I began to get a little suspicious of as throughout the survey it seems that two of the people taking the survey were not taking it seriously and filled in either no on every question, and 1 in the 1 to 10 option. If they were being genuine, the average rating of my music video compared with a professional video would be 6.6, excluding these two results would be 7.3, which I am contented with considering this is my first music video.

So what have I learned?
From my feedback I have found that for my first music video I think I gained a good idea of what it is all about. Gaining a result of 7.3 out of 10 when compared to a proffesional music video has made me very happy. Here is a screen grab of the youtube comments that I have recieved:


From these comments I have learned some things about shooting the Acoustic/Alternative genre. I have found that you don't need to use a tripod for every shot you take, and that a lot of the time it can be better not to use a tripod. Of course it is still sensible to set the camera on a tripod where sensible and not to go too far as the camera work will just look messy and annoying to watch after a while.
Another big thing that I have taken from both my feedback and the course is that when people say a music video, you will go out and shoot somebody singing along to a song in various locations etc, and yes it will be ok and be fit for purpose. But if you watch professional videos you will find that a lot of the time there is not so much singing as you might first think, and in some cases there is no singing whatsoever. Of course this relies heavily on genre, but more often than not, a good music video has a lot of fill shots which create the majority of the narrative of the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment