Friday, January 27, 2012

Target Audience

In order to create a music video of a specific genre, I need to understand the type of audience I have to attract, what they are interested in or what they find interesting in a music video, why they would watch it etc...
From this I can understand what types of shot I should include in my music video and how it is edited. This can be gained most easily by producing a survey to get real information about what different aged people prefer to watch, which videos are most popular, and looking at how they have been shot should give me an idea of how I should produce my own video.
I created a survey through the website SurveyMonkey in order to gain information about the different aspects of music videos in general. Here is a screenshot of my the survey that I created (here is the live link to it).

Responses:









From these results I can have a better idea of what a potential audience to my music video are looking to see in it. I did have a slight number more male people take the survey than female, so my results are likely to be swayed towards the what a male viewer is looking for, as opposed to a female, there being not really much of a difference in the numbers of each I am happy to take the results I have and rely on them for the production of my music video.
I was not surprised at the age of people who took my survey as they are the most likely to come across my survey, and most probably are the largest group of people who watch music videos online. The most popular genre was rock, which is not the genre that I have chosen. I am not too worried about this however as acoustic came in a joint second with pop, so I am fairly sure that this genre is fine to use as out of the relatively small sample of people who took the survey it received respectable recognition.
My next result did surprise me, with the most popular answer being that people who I surveyed watch music videos just more than once a month. I would have thought that people would watch music videos at least once a week, 

No comments:

Post a Comment